Who Can Join?
You must be a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) in order to join WAELA, the Washington State chapter. Apply for NAELA & WAELA membership jointly.
Criteria for NAELA Membership
- Membership is open to attorneys and all those who possess a juris doctorate or equivalent degree and are licensed or authorized to practice law under the jurisdiction of any country.
- Full-time law school students at an accredited college or university are eligible for membership during the duration of their studies.
- The attorney renders legal services for the benefit of the elderly and people with disabilities or is in an endeavor which encompasses the legal needs of the elderly and people with disabilities.
- The attorney has an understanding of the aging process and a sensitivity to the needs of the elderly and people with disabilities.
- The attorney is committed to the highest standards of ethics in representing the needs or promoting the welfare of the elderly and people with disabilities.
- The attorney, as a condition of membership, pledges to support the Academy’s Aspirational Standards for the Practice of Elder Law.
- The attorney has a knowledge of the aging network and those services available through other agencies which benefit the elderly and people with disabilities, or wishes to gain such knowledge.
- The attorney has a commitment to positive involvement in the work of the Academy and its purposes.
WAELA is Offering Membership Discounts for 2023
Have you ever considered inviting a colleague, law student, or recently licensed attorney to join NAELA and WAELA because of the many benefits you receive as a member? Here are a few examples:
Benefits of a membership in NAELA:
- Opportunity to participate in 2 well-informed, active and collegial Listserves, NAELA and WAELA, providing you the opportunity to discuss questions with your colleagues across the state of Washington and the U.S.
- The opportunity to grow your referral and resource network across the state of Washington and the U.S.
- Access to the Members Only section of the WAELA website, including current and past CLE materials, a Forms Library, and (coming soon) case law updates.
- Attendance at educational and networking events at the member discount.
- Receive the monthly WAELA WIRE. Growing our membership increases the resources available to members and strengthens WAELA in fulfilling its mission and providing resources and programming. PLEASE CONSIDER ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO JOIN WAELA.